startling banals

25 July 2006

poetry.com's haiku contest winners

kissed by winter's breath
a tree becomes ice sculpture
nature's artistry
-ken hooper

color in the sky
serenity in the air
calm over the land
-john dula

the kiss of the wind
creates ripples in water
changing reflections
-ken hooper

shadows stalk forward
golden eyes shine in the dark
as wolves go to hunt
-myriam derome

sharp frost whitens grass
sunlight streams in golden shafts
shivering in warmth
-rachel sreen

we waste perfect dawns
each time you hesitate to
come with open arms
-amber wolf

shimmering cascade
gown of immortal satin
perfecting the rocks
-penelope bieber

clouds caress the earth
stormy lovers who embrace
in thunderous rain
-charlie burttram

a silhouette there
waiting in the woods at night
a flash and it's gone
-methuselah renard

when the waves kiss the
shore, you can hear the song of
the restless ocean
-sary soh

2 Comments:

First off, I want to thank you for the publicity, however marginal. I suppose you would like to know how I came to submitting what you believe to be a startling banal to poetry.com. That haiku was in fact my first, written several years before when I was a 7th grader. I happened to remember it that day and desired to see my very first on a mousepad, not that I thought it was brilliant. I could share a sample of my nicer haikus...

Radiant beams rush,
Gushing from the twinkling stars.
The sky is velvet.

Bark towers and leaves
Whisper near tranquility.
Quaint stream meanders.

Crystal ambience
Follows the nightly hostess.
Lively stillness wakes.

Thanks again and happy blogging. Perhaps the day will come when I'll show you one of my truly great works of fiction.
Anonymous Anonymous, at 25.1.08  
ck out charlie burttram's background then see how poetic he is
Anonymous Anonymous, at 18.8.10  

Add a comment