startling banals

14 August 2007

Karen Blixen again

From the story 'The Old Chevalier' in 'Seven Gothic Tales'
I was so young then that I could no more than other young people give up the deep faith in my own star, in a power that loved me and looked after me in preference to all other human beings. No miracle was incredible to me as long as it happened to myself. It is when this faith begins to wear out, and when you conceive the possibility of being in the same position as other people, that youth is really over.
We sat down to supper, Nathalie and I, high up there in my warm and quiet room, with the great town below us and my heavy silk curtains drawn upon the wet night, like two owls in a ruined tower within the depths of the forest, and nobody in the world knew about us.

0 Comments:

Add a comment